Saturday, September 24, 2005

Tongue-tie

It was brought to my attention yesterday that my son has this birth defect. He is almost 8. Why wasn't it noticed when he was younger? It would've helped him in eating when he was an infant. I am quite upset (especially at myself) that it wasn't noticed until now. What is it you ask? It is where that thing that connects our tongues to the bottom of your mouth is too short and the person cannot move their tongue in a normal fashion. It can cause speech issues (which is how I found out through his speech teacher), it can cause difficulty in breastfeeding (he had this), and can cause social issues as well. If it had been caught when he was an infant it would've been an easy procedure and we would have had insurance coverage. Now it needs to be done under general as an outpatient and all without us having insurance. Apparantly they go in and cut this thing and stitch it so that he can freely move his tongue. It is a hereditary birth thing so now I know how he got it. It must have come from my hubby's side. He's adopted. So can you please keep us in your prayers as we figure out how to pay for this and to find a doctor that we can trust. My son isn't worried about it at all.

No comments: